We have seen a tall boy fender before, and reader William decided to send along his minimalist version. Text and pictures below credited to William. Solid beer choice by the way =)
* * * * * * * * * *
I wanted a minimalist fender similar to the Tangent SL. I had an old ugly plastic fender for the mount.
Using a tallboy, I removed the top with a can opener. I cut the can lengthwise along the label seams and around the bottom using tin snips.
Eyeballing the placement on my tires, I marked the width I wanted to cover my road tires with a sharpie. I then trimmed the bent portions of the can to just wider than that with a taper. I realized that I'd have to fold the edge of the can over several times in order for the screws on the fender mounts to be able to grab hold. Experimenting with an extra piece of the aluminum can, I found that 9 folds would be sufficient. Starting with about a 2mm or 1/16th inch fold along the art/text/label vertical lines helped me keep the edges straight. The tip of pliers gave me a purchase on the aluminum for the initial bending of the metal.
Once it was bent over enough, my thumbs were more effective at completing the fold. I'd crimp the new edge with the pliers before starting the next fold. Repeat 9x on each side. After five folds, I found that it was easier to start the fold by hand as the edges were strong enough to nearly roll themselves over. Towards the end, I finished by trimming the top/bottom of the former can, now fender to be symmetrical and visually appealing once mounted. The angle for the mount I based off pictures and video of the Tangent. I haven't had the opportunity to try the fender out in puddles, so I hope I got it right!