People have varying opinions about bike pedals. I for example cannot imagine riding without clipless pedals. I like to be locked in, but I also hate to walk in cleats. Thus I have shoes with the cleat embedded in the rubber sole so I can walk around and not go "clickety clack."
Some people abhor clipless pedals, and others want flexibility to choose depending on the kind of ride they are doing. If you are going on an "epic" ride you might want clipless, and if you are making a quick run to the store (for beer let's say) you might want to wear flip flops or sneakers.
Reader Shootr wanted to be able to use his clipless pedals for runs to the store and came up with a DIY idea for this purpose. Shootr sent pictures of the gross story he references below that gave him the time to come up with this hack, but I decided to leave those out because, well, they are pretty gross. Let's just say his friends might call him "stumpy" instead of Shootr. Take it away Shootr . . .
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
only have my one road bike, and up until now I've always used it just
for exercise, because wearing cleats to the store or other recreational
destination wasn't practical. (I don't like tearing up my cleats by
walking a lot in them, and if you ever walked a while with cleat covers,
you know this isn't very fun either)
So since I had a little downtime (long, gross story - let's just say chains, sprockets, and fingers don't mix!) I decided to figure out a simple super-cheap design - something that would let me cruise to the ice cream shop or the park with the wife, wearing regular shoes. A trip to the home improvement store netted me all the parts I needed.
6 - 5mm Screws (w/ nuts and washers)
And I already had the other stuff:
1- 24" Carpenters Square
2 - Cleats of the appropriate type
After deburring the holes, I bolted the plates together to shape them and smooth the edges. I'm sure I will revisit this step to add a little more "style" to the plates, but for now it was still a proof-of-concept kind of project, so just rounded the edges and made sure there weren't any sharp edges.
Unbolted them and sprayed a little black paint to cover the rust on the steel. Now I have to admit, at least the number scales on the metal still show through - and I like it as a badge of cheapness, a tribute to spending as little as possible and embracing the re-purposing lifestyle!
Next morning, after giving the paint time to dry, I bolted on an old set of cleats (I hung onto them knowing this project would get done eventually). The screws are just right, sticking up enough to get some traction without being uncomfortable.
Only issue really is getting them off, I have to use my tire prybar to do it. I hoped they would be long enough to get some leverage to remove without assistance, but I have too much tension on the cleats. I chalk it up as a feature - "difficult to steal"!