Last week we ran a post on a liquid product sent to us by a company to review. The company agreed to also give a sample to a Bike Hacks reader to review and to choose a recipient we asked readers to submit their ideas about what was in the spray bottle. A correct guess was not necessary to be considered, we just did a random drawing out of all who entered.
A large number of readers responded, and here is a sampling of the guesses. Many guesses were duplicates so every single submission is not included below.
1. Chain Lube Spray (many noted different possible scents).
2. Anti-Chafing Spray, or Lubricant for Sensitive areas.
3. Some fluid that you wipe onto your frame/parts to keep the gunk off.
5. Hand sanitizer
6. Could it be helmet freshener? We sweat our ass off in AZ and need to smell at least partially human.
7. Erection nasal spray
8. I think the liquid is a concentrated energy spray, like a gel, or gu, but in a spray format.
10. Bike Wash
11. Minty fresh breath spray for after the post race beer fest!
12. Bike Polish
13. I believe that mystery bottle contains the essence of elderberries diluted by the tears of a bluebird and combined with a synthetic oil made from raw bamboo--all mixed in a space centrifuge and returned to Earth to lubricate UV-hardened tire treads, resulting in a 0.003 percent decrease in rolling resistance and, more importantly, a 28-percent increase in visual fabulousness. That, or it's a beer can cleaner.
14. Spray-on tire cleaner
15. Sunburn spray for after you get burnt to relieve the pain.
16. Mosquito repellent
17. Body Spray
18. Eyeglass cleaner/defogger
19. screen cleaner or lens cleaner for your iPhone/ computer display
20. Spray vitamins for the ultra distance cycle set
Many of these are great ideas that someone should work on, and a few guessed correctly. The mystery product is Manscapes Masculine Spray. The following is from the product web site:
Masculine Spray™ Deodorant is not a cover-up nor does it clog pores. The Deodorant actually inhibits bacterial growth on your body This bacterial growth Is what causes body odor. So by eliminating this odor-causing bacteria, we have eliminated body odor. The Spray attacks the problem, not the results of the problem. The Spray does not have perfume that only covers one odor with another artificial odor like some sprays or powders. The Deodorant leaves an invisible layer of protection that prevents odor-causing bacteria from forming and leaves you feeling fresh and clean all through the day.
I have been using the product for about two weeks and must say that I like it. I have never been a huge fan of stick or roll on products produced by big companies, mainly because I have had issues with such products leaving stains on my shirts. Such products also sometimes with scary warning labels.
This liquid does seem to combat smell, but it does not diminish the sweating. One of the good things about it I guess is that it is not designed to block your pores. "Famous," or rather well marketed, antiperspirants designed to block your pores would seem to be an example of man trying to fight against what nature intended. Instead of trying to use technology and ridiculous commercials, this seems to be a natural product that seeks promotion and awareness on famous infamous bike related web sites =)
Thanks to Peter from Manscapes for contacting us and for generously agreeing to send the product to a reader to review. The random winner chosen is Scott Souter. Scott will receive a bottle of Manscapes Masculine Spray and we will ask him to send us a review to be posted in the future.
Thank you to all who entered. We are always looking for stuff to review and preferably to giveaway as well and other companies that want to to participate are welcome to contact us.