A while back we posted about a cool company that goes by the name Problem Solvers. They sent us some products to solve common issues with bikes and Bike Hacks is a big fan. The entry is here and the products they sent along were a universal derailleur hanger and some extension Allen bolts.
Chris from Problem Solvers emailed us again recently with this great brake clamp hack. The text and pictures are pretty self explanatory. All text and pictures below were sent by Chris. Thanks Chris!
Buddy of mine had a broken brake lever clamp. Problem was, Hayes didn't have replacement parts. He instead used a piece of copper strapping with two holes drilled in it to wrap around the clamp and secure with a bolt/nut.
I didn’t get a lot of details on this one, but basically the clamp on the master cylinder split. Hayes didn’t provide replacements for this, so he would’ve been forced into a new brake set. Instead (with plenty of trial and error) he took a length of copper strapping, and drilled two holes, one for each side of the clamp. Then he drilled out the threaded clamp bolt hole and replaced it with a longer bolt and nut. As the nut was tightened down, the strapping snugged around the clamp. This was years ago and he’s since replaced the brakes, but he wanted to show me before he pitched it. I tried it out on a bar and sure enough, it worked well enough that I couldn’t rotate the lever after tightening it down.